Friday, March 25, 2011

Refiners Fire

Matthew 19:11-12 "Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given.  For some are eunuchs because they were born that way; others were made that way by men; and others have renounced marriage because of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.”


Hosea 2:19 "I will betroth you to Me forever."


Isaiah 56:4-5  "Thus says the Lord, To the eunuchs who keep My sabbaths, who choose the things that please Me and hold fast My covenant, I will give in My house and within My walls a monument and a name better than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name that shall not be cut off."


Read Isaiah 54


Song:  Refiners Fire
Lyrics:  Purify my heart, let me be as gold, and precious silver.  Purify my heart, let me be as gold, pure gold.  Refiner's fire, my heart's one desire is to be, holy.  Set apart for You, Lord.  I choose to be, holy.  Set apart for You, my Master, ready to do Your will.  


I have been asked several times over the past couple of weeks about my decision to remain single and more specifically, my decision to "marry" Jesus.  The question is always the same, "Do you realize this means you can never marry a man?"  I will be honest, this irritated me terribly...at first.  Though now, as I have prayed and thought about it, I realize, most people will never understand this desire; nor can I expect them to.  Matthew 19:11, quoted above, is Jesus talking about eunuchs, (people who can't have sex, don't have sex, or don't get married) that not everyone can accept that there are some who aren't called to be married.  In fact, He says the only people who will accept or understand the word, are those to whom it has been given, or those who it is written about.  There are those who believe it to be true, and there are those who understand it.  That doesn't make single people any better or worse than married people, it's simply different.  


Being single is a huge responsibility, not to be taken lightly.  But, the position of single should also be given the respect that God Himself has given it.  Regardless of what our society and culture has taught us, being single when done to the glory of God is a great thing, and God has used those in the position mightily for thousands of years.  I encourage you today, if you are single only for a time, or if you have chosen to remain as such, God has great plans for you!  The place you are in right now is vital to the kingdom of God.  Please, do not look at this time of opportunity and responsibility as a punishment, or even a time to play.  God has something in mind for this time of your life!  The Bible says, "seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you".  He is refining you, changing you into the very image of Jesus Christ!  And remember, Jesus was single too!  


Now, to answer the question that has been asked, "Do you realize this means you can never marry a man?"  I do.  But, that's okay.  The Apostle Paul tells us in 1st Corinthians 7 that he wants us to be free from the anxieties of marriage; so, if you're able to withstand the temptation to have sex, then stay single.  Note, the Bible says, if you can withstand the temptations, not, if you are never tempted.  As Christians we have one unified ultimate goal, regardless of our calling.  That is, bring glory to God in all that we do.  Obviously, if you are married, you have to think practically about taking care of your family.  However, as a single person, there is no one needed to put before yourself daily but God alone.  You are free to do whatever God has laid on your heart to do, with no one else to be concerned for.  In fact, God's glory becomes the only concern.  


My Love,
I lift before you all of my single brothers and sisters.  I praise You Lord that You have created each of them for such a time as this.  Lord I ask that You would reveal to each of them Your desire for their particular season of singleness.  Lord, please show them a vision of what You want to do in their lives, and Lord I pray that You would grant them a clear understanding of who they are in You as a single person.  Lord please wrap Your arms around each of them and bless them in over abundance with the feeling of Love.  Help them to see Lord that You are the greatest Love, because You loved us first.  Thank You Lord that You have loved me despite my many flaws.  Help me to utilize every second for Your glory.  Let me not grow weary in the refining process Lord.  I love You!!!
In Jesus mighty and precious name I pray.
Amen



2 comments:

  1. Encouraging post! I like how you didn't just talk to people who are going to remain single throughout like you have chosen, but also talked about the single "season" of people's lives!

    Amen to the prayer! :)

    ReplyDelete